Blog Archive

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Primeval extract

Yesterday in class we looked at the Primeval extract. We looked at the extract in four sections to help us focus on each part in more detail. I learnt how to break up an extract, some ways you can break up an extract are location change, visual change (a character walks into or out of a scene) and a sound change. This helped me as when looking at extracts it will be easier for me to break up the extract into sections helping me structure a more detailed essay. 

What I learnt about females
In class I also built up more knowledge on how director play on stereotypes. One stereotype we met was a female which was portrayed in a more masculine way. This is because we first see her in a large digger machine which demonstrates her strength as it is usually a males job to do this. The camera was mostly at a slightly low angle to denote that she is a dominant character. She was also positioned in the middle of the screen which is also significant because it conveys her importance as she is the center of attention. Looking at this character has taught me that directors can play on stereotypes to make the extract more interesting. However, the director then displays a more traditional stereotype towards the end of the extract. The director then presented a stereotypical female, looking feminine by the way she is dressed and positioned. The female in this scene is made to look slightly weak as even though when she firsts speaks to this man she is on eye level, she is then pushed to the ground with the camera looking down on her connoting she has no strength or power unlike the other girl we met previously.



What I learnt about males
It took me a long time to understand how the males were presented in this extract as the director displayed several stereotypes. First of all, we meet a male which does look masculine but because he is currently in the scene with the women in the big machine doing the harder job it makes him look more weak. He is also positioned in the bottom corner of the screen which conveys he is less important in the scene. The next main male we meet, meets the stereotype of a strong and powerful man. The props in the background help him appear more masculine as he has dogs which are more linked in with males. He also has a gun which he holds up to the women which is interfering in his business. This represents males in a confusing way as on one hand, the director represents males as less dominant but then towards the end of the extract he represents males as being powerful. 



Overall, I think I have gained a basic understand on how gender is represented within and throughout the scene. Although, because the director changes and plays with stereotypes so much it was hard for me to fully understand how the director is choosing to represent gender. When I start writing my essay I will have to make sure I watch the extract a few more times so I can get a more advanced insight on what the director is trying to achieve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment