Blog Archive

Monday 15 October 2012

Revision on Semiotics

I have decided to go over and revise Semiotics as I still do not feel very comfortable with using them properly. First of all, Semiotics, or seismology  is the study of signs, symbols, and signification. It is the study of how meaning is created, not what it is. Below are some brief definitions of semiotic terms, beginning with the smallest unit of meaning and proceeding towards the larger and more complex:


Signifier: any material thing that signifies, e.g., words on a page, a facial expression, an image.

Signified: the concept that a signifier refers to.
This is an example: the open sign is the signifier, while the signified is that you can go in.

Symbolic signs: signs where the relation between signifier and signified is purely conventional and culturally specific, e.g., most words.

Iconic signs: signs where the signifier resembles the signified, e.g., a picture.


Indexical Signs: signs where the signifier is caused by the signified, e.g., smoke signifies fire.

Overall, I now feel as if I have a more advanced understanding on Semiotics as before I was unsure and got signs mixed up. I still think I am not completely comfortable with the signs as I still feel very new to them but from doing this I have a better understanding. 


No comments:

Post a Comment