Blog Archive

Tuesday 9 October 2012

 Pilot survey two

Me and my group have decided to make a second pilot survey as we feel as if the first survey we made needed several improvements. This time we have done it online so that people can easily fill it out from their homes. Also, by doing it online it helps us out as it looks much neater and is easy to collect the data. For question one, two and three we decided to keep them the same as we feel they are giving us the basic information that we need. However, we have expanded most of the other questions.

Firstly, I have made a big mistake on the first question as I only asked people if they were 15 or 18. This was bad of me as I did not get enough age variation in my answers. When I make my final survey I will make sure that I correct this by asking if they are between the ages of 15-17 or 18+. However, half way through the survey I did manage to change it which did then give me a more accurate responses. 

The next question we asked was: Would you rather watch a film with an age rating of 15 or 18?
We got a lot of different responses. One response we got was that the reason they preferred 18's is because they are more scary. This tells me that when I make my thriller opening sequence, If I make the age rating 18 I will have to make it scary otherwise I am not following the audiences expectation. A few other people responded that they did not mind whether it was a 15 or 18. This tells me that there is not too much different between both the age ratings. 

Asking a question about what part of the title sequence they preferred helps us as a group as we can see what part of the title sequence we should focus on. 67% said that they preferred the music in the title sequence. This tells me that music is very important as it is what creates a tone and atmosphere in the sequence and it has a large effect on the audience. However, animation and font were also chosen which shows me and my group that we will also have to think about and focus what type of fonts we will use and if we are going to include any type of animation.



The next question we asked was "Which type of opening do you prefer? Why is this?"

As you can see, we have added on a second part to this question as before we did not feel the survey gave us enough information. A lot of the answers were different. Here are some examples:
"I prefer slow openings as they create tension"
- This tells us that slow openings are successful in creating tension.

"For a thriller film, I'd like a lot of action, intense music as well as cool fonts (James Bond title sequences are a good example"
- This tells us that audiences expect to see action and would preferably like to hear intense music. As you can see, the person that filled this out has given us a good example of a successful thriller film (James Bond). I am going to look at the James Bond opening sequence and look out for the music, fonts and the aspects of action to have a more advanced insight on what this person is trying to put across.

I think asking the audience "What is your favorite sub-genre thriller?" helped us see the most popular sub genre. The most popular three that were answered was Crime, Psychological and Conspiracy. This question helped me and my group as we can now see the most popular sub genres. It also helps us choose if we want to include a sub genre as they seem to be popular with the audience that filled out the survey.

What do you expect to see in a thriller film?
The last question we asked helped us as a group to see what the audience expected to see in the opening of a thriller film. We got a lot of useful answers in this. This tells me that this was a successful question to ask and we should include it when making our final survey. Here are some examples of answers we got:

"I expect to see ominous figures that raise suspicion"

"Flashing lights, horror, blood"

Overall, I think this survey has been partly successful as most of the answers that were given were very relevant  When making this survey I tried to write examples under the questions so the audience would see the example and fully understand what the question was asking them. I still think as a group we could expand some of the questions. However, I am content with this survey and I think as a group we have worked well in making up and thinking these questions. When making our final survey we will need to as a group, make sure that we are certain with the questions that we want to ask. I still feel as if we should be asking more questions as I do not think we are gathering enough information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment