Monday 12 November 2012

Representation Of Gender

In class today we looked at an extract from Doctor Who which we have previously seen. Instead of analysing the whole extract we had to analyse one shot. In our group we got given a shot of a computer generated image. At first, I struggled to pick out the significance as I am not used to analysing extracts which have characters that are fictional and extraordinary. Anyhow, me and my group went on to picking each of the important parts of the shot. We got given a question which was: How is gender represented in this extract?


This is the paragraph we wrote: Within the extract masculinity is represented in atypical way. This is shown through the use of a medium shot. Within the shot we can see the whole of his body which emphasises how weak and fragile he is - this contradicts the stereotype of a typical male. Additionally the cage is symbolic of being trapped and reinforces his lack of masculinity he has a lack of control. The extremity of the cgi exaggerated his age conveying his venerability. 

We then got given feed back from the whole class which helped as we could all see how we could develop and improve our paragraph. Overall, doing this has helped me as I now know how to analyse fictional characters in extracts and also has built up on my knowledge on how to answer a gender question.


No comments:

Post a Comment